Sunday, May 20, 2012

Critical 7

Death and losing a person to death is a reoccurring theme in several of the poems we have read this quarter. For my final paper I would like to focus on different views of death. I will be addressing a few poems we have read. Firstly I will be addressing A.E. Housman's "To An Athlete Dying Young". In this poem Housman suggests that it is better for a young athlete to die in their prime instead of aging and watching their accomplishments become insignificant. The next poem I would like to look at is "Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night" by Dylan Thomas. Unlike Housman, Thomas expresses that people (specifically his father) should fight to stay alive. I will also be looking at "If We Must Die" by Claude McKay who expresses similar ideals to Thomas. The final poem I will be addressing is "Moonprint" by Denise Duhamel. This poem discusses the acceptance of death.

1 comment:

  1. This is a good topic Ellen.

    Try to make an argument about how these poets are looking at death differently and how they're doing that with their artistic choices. Certainly the topic links these poems, but it will be your job to show how these linked poems contribute to your philosophy of poetry, to your understanding of what makes a poem.

    Novels can be about death, too, right?

    Dave

    ReplyDelete